Saturday 17 November 2012

That Six Degrees of Seperation Thing - Part 1

My life is occasionally surreal. It has been a bit like that since I moved to Penzance. The beach being 300 metres from my door, listening to the waves on a windy night. Great gluts of sunshine whilst the rest of the country suffers under a dank, dark cloud. The ephemeral light down here that has been responsible for inspiring some of the greatest talents the British Art world has ever seen.

Artwork By Leonard Richmond


 A few days after I arrived I had to go to the Council Offices to sort out some boring paperwork. I got talking to an English girl called Kim who had brought a souvenir home from her 12 year trip to the States. She had also just moved to Penzance. That souvenir went by name of Cameron and they have been married for 7 years. We swapped phone numbers and when we finally met up Kim modestly told me about Cam's talent as a Portrait Painter, a Master of Fine Art and College Professor. Wow, I don't 'alf meet them don't I. Oh and don't forget the bit about the Tango. Cam is also a terrific Argentine Tango teacher and is now teaching classes in St Ives. Cameron is currently writing a column for The Cornishman called an American in  Penzance. (I'm hideously jealous of this.) That's a self portrait of him below.


Fabulous isn't it. I'll post a few links to his work at the end of this.


I wasn't quite sure what to do when I met him properly. Bow, scrape, use Castanets or feed him. I did the latter, it's what I do best! Cameron was charming, self effacing and had an utterly wicked SOH.  He was so kind to The Borg and even managed to unplug him for a whole three hours. I am attending my very first Thanksgiving Feast on Thursday, courtesy of Kim and Cam.



I wonder what I should bring. I mean, is it like Christmas where you have all the Rellies round and Aunt Maud gets trollied on sherry, or is it a Downton Abbey style thing where you watch your P's and Q's and 'pass the sauce'. I'll report back soon. In the meantime if you would like to look at Cameron's work then follow the links below.

Mrs Wook

http://www.cameronbennettart.com/#home

http://anamericaninpenzance.blogspot.co.uk

 http://manchestertango.blogspot.co.uk/




No comments:

Post a Comment